Monday, September 24, 2012

Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Following a whirlwind weekend of truss installation, I am at home (having taken the day off, but not to relax, sadly enough), but to wait for the natural gas line relocation adventure.  This is quite the production!

So overnight, SaskEnergy must have come by to re-mark the back alley where the gas line is going to go, as well as leave a pylon and piece of wood. (we notice this because Rob is up at 5:30 a.m. to drive back to Regina because he has a huge report going to Council, otherwise he would have stayed here, and I am up as well because we were told SaskEnergy was coming at 7:30 a.m.--and I don't want another bathrobe incident).

Thus I am sitting on a chair in the kitchen, looking out the back door, on watch for all the people coming today.  I can see through the garage window into the back alley, so I know when people arrive. (while I am waiting all day, I check emails, update the blog, pay bills, do an expense spreadsheet for the garage,  etc.)

8:00 a.m.--the hydrovac truck pulls up.  They are there to unearth the gas line.  They use a giant wand with water (like a pressure washer) to "dig" into the dirt and simultaneously use a giant vacuum sucker hose to draw up the water and dirt.  That way, they don't hit the gas line with a shovel but with high pressure water instead --very safe.  They were done in 5 minutes and left.  (they put that wood piece over the hole and the pylon on top--so that's what they were for!)
9:30 a.m.--a fellow from SaskEnergy arrives.  He's there to do more marking in the back alley, this time for diodes (?). He doesn't do the trenching--not his line. I tell him my natural gas story and explain the process as to how I think it is supposed to happen and it's correct. He says the trenching crew should be behind him by very soon. He does some markings and leaves after 30 minutes.



10:20 a.m.-- another SaskEnergy guy arrives, carrying a meter.  I'm thinking, man, this is slick and well-orchestrated. After a brief conversation and me telling my gas line story again, it turns out that he isn't part of this extravaganza--he just showed up coincidentally to change out the meter as it is very old.  He said that the trenching crew has to do their thing running the new line to the bracket, and that our plumber has to do his thing running our line to the new bracket.  Then our guy has to call SaskEnergy and they will come out with a new meter and install and re-light the pilot light.  So he's not doing the meter, it's not his line, and he leaves after 10 minutes.

10:40 a.m.-- yet another SaskEnergy crew arrives.  This is the first crew for the trenching--foreman and worker.  They are waiting for the rest of the crew.  I tell my gas line story yet again. And again, they stress how crucial it is for our plumber to do his thing, in order for me to have heat and hot water today.  So I phone Rob, who in turn phones the plumber, who's office seems to have lost the work order.  Needless to say, Rob insists on the urgency on the matter and they say they'll try and get a crew out today.  I sure hope so, or else I'm without hot water and heat!

11:00 a.m.--another SaskEnergy truck arrives.  The two drivers talk in the alley, waiting for the third truck.

11:30 a.m.--SaskEnergy truck number three arrives, this time with a baby backhoe/bulldozer and trencher on the flatbed.  I take brownies out to everyone.  Six guys at this point.  I tell my gas line story for what feels the fourth time of the day.  All good.  So they start digging for the new gas line followed by trenching.


The baby backhoe/bulldozer at work



The trenching machine

11:50 a.m.--the plumbing company owner shows up.  He is checking out the site for his guys who are coming after lunch.. I tell the gas line story again.  Yes, that jives with what he understands.  I ask will I have heat and hot water by the end of the day--he says they will do their part but it is up to SaskEnergy to do theirs (as we have learned earlier, SaskEnergy comes out yet again with a different crew to install the gas meter and light the pilot light once trenching crew and plumbing crew are done).

12:15 p.m,--the crews stop work as it is lunch time.  I'm kinda tired myself--all this supervising is wearying!
12:45 p.m.--lunch break is over and they start tying in the new gas line and removing the old meter.  I ask if they can take out all the extra piping around the meter.  That's not their job (or line!).  Gee, it does seem like every crew does a very specialized piece of work and nothing else. 

12:45 p.m.--the crew resumes tying in, back filling, and removing pipes from the old lines at the house.


The old lines and meter all removed--what's left is our line.





All done--like they were never there!

1:15 p.m.--the crew has levelled the ground, loaded their trucks, and leave.  I say our plumber is coming some time after lunch and that they will call for the meter when ready.  Then I go look at the area with the removed meter and notice the lilacs have overgrown the pathway--so I do some pruning, so the next crew can get down there.


Our new gas line and old meter--just waiting for some action!

1:40 p.m.--the plumber and his helper show up.  Yes, I tell the gas line story again. He is a young guy, and either he has no idea of what I'm saying or I'm saying it wrong, as he seems unsure, but kinda gets the gist of it.  He said it should take about an hour.  They unload their truck and set up a pipe cutting machine in the garage.

2:15 p.m.--two more crew members arrive.  I go over the story again.  The older fellow seems to get it. I feed them all brownies. So the first crew is doing the pipe cutting and install along the back of the garage.  The second crew is in charge of the pipe shortening, trenching, and running the outlets (for the bbq and garage heater).

4:05 p.m.--the lead guy comes to the house to lit the pilot light.  I asked don't you have to wait for SaskEnergy...he said they were already here!  Wow--I was dreading having to wait for them to show up, as I have a meeting tonight at 6:00 p.m.  So on goes the water heater, they leave at 4:15 p.m., and I walk around looking at all the new stuff.
New gas meter--ta dah!

New underground connection




The new connections and gas line at the side of the garage



The stubbed line at the house



So now my day is done.  Whew I'm tired after having to be alert all day.  I also notice that this blog is very detailed and long.  Probably becasue I had nothing else to do all day.  But we have a new gas line and hot water again--yay! And it's finally OUR line!



No comments:

Post a Comment